Pipecleaners were invented in the late 1800s in New York by J. Harry Stedman. Due to the decline in in pipe smoking, pipe cleaners have flourished in the arts and crafts world.
A pipecleaner is made of two lengths of wire, called the core, twisted together trapping short lengths of fibre between them, called the pile. Craft pipe cleaners are usually made with polyester or nylon pile and available in many different colours and sizes.
Craft pipecleaners are often 30 cm (12 inches) and can be up to 50 cm (20 inches). They are available in widths ranging from 3mm to 15mm, the standard diameter is 6mm.
10 pipe cleaner craft ideas:
- White 3mm pipe cleaners make perfect animal whiskers, add them too your animal creations!
- Christmas chenille pipe cleaners can be twisted into Christmas decorations, keep them simple or thread beads onto them.
- Black pipe cleaners make perfect spider legs, add pom poms and some googly eyes and surprise your friends!
Quick Craft Bunny Nose – See idea
- Colourful pipe cleaners are a quick and easy way to create napkin rings. Just twist them a round the napkin and place on the table. You could get creative and use two, one as a napkin ring and the other attached shaped into a heart or flower.
- Keep the kids busy in the car by giving them a bunch of pipe cleaners to play with, no mess and less complaining on long journeys!
- Brighten up a pony tail by twisting a pipe cleaner around the hair band, may be twist two together for a brighter effect.
Quick Craft Pipecleaner Chick – See idea
- Get the kids creating bracelets, rings and hair bands, add beads or use tinsel pipe cleaners for an extra glamorous look.
- Pipe cleaners are perfect for securing the ends of make your own crackers or party bags, for an added twist curl any extra length of pipe cleaner around a pencil to create a spiral decoration.
- Use green pipe cleaners as flower stems for simple tissue paper flowers or pipe cleaner ones.
- Create pipe cleaner animals, be inspired by the variety of colours and sizes and make cute teddy bears or imaginative monsters!
Buzzy Bee Headband – See Idea
Pipe cleaners are an essential for so many craft activities, whether you’re making flowers, bugs, a beaded tiara or securing a party bag or cracker, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for in our range. Pipe cleaners are a must have to keep in your craft box and they can be used time and time again.
Check out all our Kids Craft Ideas for more inspiration!
You can find more helpful craft supplies information on our Shopping Guide pages here.
Remember to check back regularly for new craft guides, ideas, hints and tips!